Friday, May 27, 2016

How about a side of clickbait?

By Joseph Price • May 19, 2016
Originally published in the Batesville Daily Guard

So would someone tell me when posts by a bunch of nobodies on the Twitter or Facebook accounts of well-known individuals became newsworthy?

I’m not talking about the posts by the actual public figure, but the posts made in response to them. Somehow, those posts are being passed off as “news.”
It’s a trend that I’ve noticed lately. It really jumped out last week when a former colleague of mine, who now works in Oregon, shared an article called “Bernie Sanders Fanatics At
tack Anne Rice and George Takei.”
Unable to resist something that would annoy me at that moment, I pressed my screen and was directed to an “article” on a site called Modern Liberal which basically said “people who like Bernie Sanders said mean things to the Vampire Lady and Sulu” and proceeded to have a long list of copy and paste Facebook posts and Tweets of people saying they were unhappy with those people’s support of Hillary. Aside from some inarticulate and self-righteous posting, none of it seemed too offensive.
Most recently, I saw another friend post something similar from the Huffington Post about how Old Navy smacked down racists on its Twitter feed. It’s great that Old Navy did that, but a bunch of racist nobodies posting on social media is nothing new. That sort of thing goes back to the beginnings of the Internet boom and it wasn’t news back then.
All that I got out of those two “stories” is that I was looking at really lazy journalism, if you could call it journalism at all.
I mean, seriously, I could go on any famous person’s or business’ Facebook or Twitter account and cherry pick comments and make a quick “story” out of it as well. Anyone could do it actually. It’s not even journalism, it’s just copy and pasting.
Now, I’m not the sort of person who longs for the good-old-days that never existed. If you look at them with a critical eye, the “good old days” weren’t really that good. But something like this that passes for journalism now makes me long for the days that news was informative and clickbait didn’t exist.
“What is clickbait?” those not in on the lingo of the Internet might ask.
Well, clickbait is content that’s main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page. It’s pretty much become the dominant form of “news” delievery on social media and is largely full of irrelevant topics that are usually recycled and lack any worthwhile substance.
I mean, why should I really care if John Smith left a mean Facebook post for Chuck Norris because he supported Mike Huckabee? Is Jane Smith telling Bernie Sanders that Hillary has better hair newsworthy? Will people even bother to remember those people after they closed the page? Are we particularly informed by any of this?
One particular Facebook post I remember that made national news, at least on the Internet, was a post that originated on the KARK page in 2015. It was right on the heels of the Supreme Court decision that legalized same-sex marriage in the U.S. A man was upset about the decision and accused the NBC affiliate of having rainbow colors on its peacock logo. It was pointed out to the man that the colors had always been that way. Funny, but not really earth-shaking. But within a couple of days, the man’s post was plastered across the Internet, with once-reputable sites like Raw Story and Buzzfeed taking not and doing stories of their own. It got a lot of clicks and Mr. Don Stair apparently got a lot of feedback for it, closing his account, according to Raw Story.
That’s just one example. Now it seems that anyone can get 0.15 seconds of fame if they respond angry or mean enough to someone or something on Facebook or Twitter.
To me, it’s like splashing “Red Butte High Student calls Kirk Douglas Old” across the front page. Sure, some may find it offensive, but who cares what some anonymous kid says? Is anyone going to care or even remember five minutes later?
But apparently they do, because when someone shares one of these “stories” online, they get responses on their own feed in return. It’s like a piranha finding a meal and then other piranhas show up to eat that piranha and even more piranhas show up to eat those piranhas and so on.
Am I supposed to change my mind about a particular politician because some of their supporters make inarticulate, stupid or outright crazy posts on Facebook? Is that really supposed to make me rethink the issues?
If the answer is supposed to be “yes” then I guess I’m missing something. But then, maybe it’s just the mess that’s the Internet where that sort of thing may be considered news. I just don’t see it.
Thus is the world of clickbait.
I don’t like it, but I guess I’m stuck with it. And sometimes, I’m going to bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment